Winners in Focus – Guest Event of the Year Award
Monday, February 03, 2014
Nominations for our Guest Event of the Year Award close this Friday 7 February 2014 at midnight (GMT).
As part of our Stadium Business Awards ‘Winners In Focus’ series, we take a look back at 2012 Summer Olympic Games, London, who won the Guest Event of the Year 2013 Award – for the hosting of the 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.
The previous two Guest Event of the Year Award winners were: Croke Park, Dublin – HM Queen’s Visit and U2’s 360 Global Stadium Tour.
The judging panel commented: “A global, world-class spectacle that did not disappoint.. delivered on a very different scale of budget to previous Opening Ceremonies.. Theatrical, fun and very British… using the entire stadium bowl as a screen to project the history, culture and legacy of Great Britain around the world…”
The London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony pipped several other high calibre shortlisted nominees to the award, including:
- ‘One Year to Go’ until the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, ‘Bolshoi’ Ice Dome, Russia
- Buelent Ceylan Comedy Show at Commerzbank-Arena Frankfurt, Germany
- Celebrating Sir Alex Ferguson’s 25 years at Manchester United (Old Trafford), UK
- Hurricane Sandy Benefit Concert at Madison Square Garden, USA
- Opening Ceremony of Friends Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
- Coldplay at Etihad Stadium (June 2012), UK